Spring Vegetable Soup with Tarragon
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Good News This light soup is laden with nutrient-dense root vegetables like potatoes (vitamin C), carrots (beta-carotene) and onions (chromium, which helps maintain blood sugar levels). In the summer, Stéphane Vivier purees the soup and serves it chilled with the freshest herbs he can find.
More Vegetable Soup Recipes
- 7 cups water
- 10 small red potatoes, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 celery ribs, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large leek, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths, or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot, combine the water with the red potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and leek. Bring to a boil. Add the salt and simmer over moderately low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the green beans and simmer until tender, 3 minutes. Stir in the parsley and tarragon. Season with pepper and serve.
Crisp Chardonnay, such as one from Carneros in Northern California.