© William Meppem
Spring Vegetable Soup
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/4 pound pasta, such as farfalloni or orecchiette
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large leek, white and tender green part only, thinly sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, halve diagonally
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until almost al dente; drain. Transfer to a bowl and cover.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the leek; cook over moderately high heat until tender, about 1 minute. Add the stock, cover and bring to a simmer. Add the sugar snaps and cook over moderate heat until just tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the pasta, spinach, lemon juice and lemon zest; season with salt and pepper. Cook just until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve.
This light soup needs a wine that's equally refreshing, preferably one that picks up the lemony flavors. Consider an Alsace Pinot Blanc.