Spring Pea and Fava Bean Crostini
- SERVINGS: 4 First-Course Servings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon minced chervil
- 1 teaspoon minced tarragon
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds fava beans in their pods, shelled (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound thin asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1/4 pound sugar snap peas
- 1/2 cup shelled fresh or frozen English peas (2 1/2 ounces)
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 slices country bread, toasted
- In a small bowl, using a fork, blend the butter with the chervil, tarragon, chives, lemon zest, lemon juice and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Blanch the fava beans in a medium saucepan of boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and let cool slightly, then peel the fava beans and discard the skins.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the asparagus, snap peas, English peas (if fresh) and shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring, about 4 minutes. Add the fava beans, English peas (if frozen) and water and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and swirl in the herb butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Set a piece of toasted country bread in the center of each plate. Spoon the vegetables on top and serve.
NotesOne Serving Calories 271 kcal, Total Fat 9.2 gm, Saturated Fat 3.5 gm, Protein 11 gm, Carbohydrates 37 gm.