Spring Pea and Fava Bean Crostini
- SERVINGS: 4 First-Course Servings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon minced chervil
- 1 teaspoon minced tarragon
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds fava beans in their pods, shelled (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound thin asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1/4 pound sugar snap peas
- 1/2 cup shelled fresh or frozen English peas (2 1/2 ounces)
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 slices country bread, toasted
- In a small bowl, using a fork, blend the butter with the chervil, tarragon, chives, lemon zest, lemon juice and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Blanch the fava beans in a medium saucepan of boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and let cool slightly, then peel the fava beans and discard the skins.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the asparagus, snap peas, English peas (if fresh) and shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring, about 4 minutes. Add the fava beans, English peas (if frozen) and water and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and swirl in the herb butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Set a piece of toasted country bread in the center of each plate. Spoon the vegetables on top and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.