- 2 1/4 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin (1 envelope)
- 3 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup vodka
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 celery ribs, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded basil
How to make this recipe
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle the gelatin over 1 cup of the tomato juice and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes. Set the saucepan over moderate heat and stir until the juice is warm and the gelatin has dissolved completely, about 4 minutes; do not let the juice get too hot.
- Pour the juice into a glass measuring cup and stir in the remaining 2 1/2 cups of tomato juice and the vodka. Season with salt, pepper and the Worcestershire sauce, then pour into whiskey tumblers. Refrigerate until set, at least 6 hours or overnight.
- In a blender, puree the celery with the lemon juice. Strain the puree through a fine sieve and season with salt. Cover the celery juice and refrigerate.
- In a medium bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Add the hot sauce, season with salt and whip until firm. Cover and refrigerate.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the celery juice to each glass of tomato jelly. Top with heaping teaspoons of the hot pepper cream and the shredded basil. Serve with small spoons.
The tomato jelly, celery juice and hot pepper cream can be refrigerated separately for 2 days. Gently re-whip the cream before serving.
One Serving Calories 86 kcal, Total Fat 2.9 gm, Saturated Fat 1.7 gm, Protein 2 gm, Carbohydrates 6 gm.