- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups individually quick-frozen raspberries (6 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly grease and flour a 10-inch round cake pan, tapping out any excess flour.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small pitcher, mix the olive oil with the milk and lemon juice.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, blend the sugar with the lemon zest. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and beat at medium speed until thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Beat in the dry ingredients, alternating with the olive oil mixture until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and scatter the raspberries on top. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Invert the cake onto a wire rack, turn it right side up and let cool completely. Cut the cake into wedges and serve.
The cake can be stored at room temperature for 3 days.
One Serving Calories 309 kcal, Total Fat 9.9 gm, Saturated Fat 1.9 gm, Protein 6 gm, Carbohydrates 49 gm.
Serve an off-dry sparkling wine from Italy or Napa Valley that is slightly sweeter than this delightful, not-so-sweet sponge cake.