- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds curly spinach, thick stems discarded
- 2 cups plain Persian or Greek yogurt
- Pita chips and za’atar, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened and caramelized, 20 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the saucepan in large handfuls, allowing each to wilt slightly before adding more. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the spinach is wilted and very tender, about 20 minutes. Scrape into a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper and let cool completely.
- Add the yogurt to the spinach and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until slightly chilled, 15 minutes. Serve with pita chips and za’atar.
The dip can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.