- 3 pounds spinach leaves, large stems removed
- One 4-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chili oil
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon plain rice vinegar
- Large pinch of sugar
How to make this recipe
- In a large pot of boiling water, blanch the spinach for barely 1 minute. Drain and rinse well in cold water. Squeeze dry, coarsely chop and transfer to a large, shallow dish.
- In a mini food processor, finely chop the ginger. Transfer to a small bowl and mix with the chili oil. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat the peanut oil in a medium skillet. Add the ginger and fry over moderate heat until golden, about 4 minutes. Pour through a fine sieve and drain the ginger on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce with the vinegar and sugar. Drizzle over the spinach, stir lightly and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the ginger over the spinach and serve.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 3 up to 1 day ahead. Refrigerate the spinach and keep the ginger covered at room temperature.
Using baby spinach will save you the step of removing the stems from the leaves, and you can buy it prewashed in bag.