- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 3 ounces Roquefort or other blue cheese, crumbled (3/4 cup)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound lean slab bacon, sliced 1/4 inch thick and cut crosswise into thin strips
- 3/4 pound spinach, large stems discarded
- 1 small red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, quartered
How to make this recipe
- In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the sour cream, shallot and cider vinegar. Stir in the blue cheese. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain.
- In a very large bowl, toss the spinach with the red onion and bacon, then toss with the dressing. Mound the salad on plates, top with the eggs and serve.
The dressing can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Bright, juicy Pinot Gris.