Spinach, Basil and Plum Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Padma Lakshmi likes using yuzu (a sour Asian citrus fruit) in the vinaigrette for this salad, a simple but bold combination of spinach, basil and juicy plums. Yuzu can be hard to find, so a mix of lemon juice and lime zest is equally good here. Finishing the salad with flakes of sea salt gives it a nice unexpected crunch.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- Coarse sea salt, preferably red
- Coarsely crushed black pepper
- Two 5-ounce bags baby spinach
- 2 cups basil leaves, torn
- 2 black or red plumshalved, pitted and thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon and orange juices, the vinegar and the orange and lime zests. Season lightly with sea salt and black pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the spinach, basil and plums. Add the dressing and toss well. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper (so there are flakes clinging to the leaves) and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.