- 1 1/4cups pecan pieces
- 4 fillets smoked trout, or 2 whole smoked trout
- 1 pound spinach, stems removed and leaves washed (about 9 cups)
- 1/2 pound red cabbage, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 3 heads Belgian endive, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 2-inch matchstick strips
- 1 red onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Sherry Balsamic Vinaigrette
How to make this recipe
- In a medium frying pan, toast the pecans over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Or toast them in a 350° oven for about 8 minutes.
- If using whole trout, remove the skin and lift each fillet off the bone. Break the fillets into 1-inch chunks.
- In a large bowl, combine the trout with the pecans, spinach, cabbage, Belgian endive, apples, onion, and parsley. Add the vinaigrette and toss.
Choose a white wine with an ample dose of acidity (to cut the smokiness of the trout and the richness of the nuts) and plenty of personality (to balance the leafy ingredients). Try a Chenin Blanc from the Loire Valley in France, such as a Vouvray.