Spinach and Mushroom Salad with Cumin Dressing
- SERVINGS: 8
This is a far cry from a classic spinach salad. Its tangy lemon dressing, with a slight hint of exotic spice, is light and very refreshing.
Terrific Green Salads
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds firm white mushrooms—stems trimmed, caps quartered
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds spinach, large stems discarded, leaves torn into large pieces
- 8 small scallions, white and tender green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- In a spice grinder or mortar, crush the cumin seeds to a powder. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, lemon zest and garlic with 1 teaspoon salt. Whisk in the cumin, paprika and coriander, then whisk in the olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, toss the mushrooms with 1/2 cup of the dressing and season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the spinach with the scallions, cilantro and the remaining dressing. Add the mushrooms and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and serve.