Spinach and Artichoke Pizzas
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- Whole wheat flour, for dusting
- 1 pound frozen pizza dough, thawed and quartered
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- Two 9-ounce packages frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon minced rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Two 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated pecorino cheese
- Set a pizza stone on the bottom of the oven. Preheat the oven to 500°. Dust a baking sheet with flour. Shape each piece of pizza dough into a disk, transfer to the baking sheet and dust with flour. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 25 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onions, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Add the artichoke hearts and rosemary to the skillet and heat through. Season with salt and pepper and add to the onions.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet. Add the spinach and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- For each pizza, on a lightly floured surface, roll 1 disk of dough into a 9-inch round. Flour a pizza peel and slide the dough onto it. Spread one-fourth of the spinach and artichoke hearts on the dough. Top with one-fourth of the Fontina and 1 tablespoon of the pecorino. Bake on the stone for about 6 minutes, or until crisp and bubbling. Cut into wedges and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.