- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 1 1/4 cups
Falafel stands throughout the Middle East often have some version of this hot chile sauce, called zhoug, for giving a spicy kick to pita sandwiches. Ana Sortun adds pumpkin seeds to her take on this fiery sauce to thicken it and deepen the flavor.
- Two 3-ounce Hungarian wax peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup cilantro leaves and stems
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup toasted shelled pumpkin seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Season the zhoug with salt and black pepper and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.