- 1/2 pound dried udon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Asian chili-garlic sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon pure ancho chile powder
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 cups clam broth
- 2 cups water
- 24 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 4 ounces baby spinach (4 cups)
- 2 scallions, thickly sliced
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the udon until al dente, about 6 minutes. Drain, shaking out the excess water.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the garlic, sesame oil, 1 1/4 teaspoons chili sauce, chile powder, sugar and a pinch of salt. Add the clam broth and water and bring to a boil. Add the clams and cook until opened, about 5 minutes; transfer the clams to a bowl.
- Add the spinach, scallions and udon to the broth and cook until the spinach is wilted, 1 minute. Ladle the udon soup into 4 bowls and top with the clams. Pass extra chili sauce at the table.
Light white with a mineral edge, such as from Santorini.