- 3/4 pound fatty tuna belly
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 10 brined green peppercorns, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Crackers or toasts, for serving
How to make this recipe
Fit a medium pot with a steamer insert. Add 1 inch of water to the pot and bring it to a boil. Add the tuna and steam until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Let cool. Flake the tuna into a medium bowl; don't remove the fat. Gently stir in the cilantro, scallions, butter, green peppercorns, lemon juice and cayenne.
In a small bowl, beat the cream until stiff. Fold the cream into the tuna and season with salt. Transfer to a crock and serve at room temperature or slightly chilled with crackers.
The tuna rillettes can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
This spicy dish finds its match in a broad-flavored California Chardonnay.