- 2 pounds tomatoes, peeled and halved
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced Vidalia onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced basil
- 1/2 tablespoon minced mint
Scoop the seeds from the tomatoes into a strainer set over a bowl and press on the seeds to extract as much juice as possible. Coarsely chop the tomatoes and add them to the juice.
Heat the oil in a large skillet until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened and just brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes with their juice and the crushed red pepper. Season with salt and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in the basil and mint and serve.