- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 large garlic cloves, sliced
- Two 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes with their liquid
- 2 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes and their liquid, the water, bay leaves, crushed red pepper and sugar. Season with salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 45 minutes. Discard the bay leaves.
Working in batches, puree the sauce in a blender. Transfer to a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 2 months.