- 2 pounds tomatoes, peeled and halved
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced Vidalia onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced basil
- 1/2 tablespoon minced mint
- Scoop the seeds from the tomatoes into a strainer set over a bowl and press on the seeds to extract as much juice as possible. Coarsely chop the tomatoes and add them to the juice.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened and just brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes with their juice and the crushed red pepper. Season with salt and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in the basil and mint and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.