Spicy Tomato Relish
- SERVINGS: Makes about 3 cups
Use the leftovers of this vibrant relish on sandwiches or alongside roasted meat. A nicely wrapped jar of this relish also makes a great gift.
Plus: More Vegetable Recipes and Tips
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/4 pounds ripe plum tomatoespeeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 12 scallions, white and tender green, thinly sliced diagonally
- 5 serrano chiles, stemmed and quartered lengthwise (with seeds)
- One 1 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger, finely julienned
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon black or yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- In a nonreactive saucepan, heat the vinegar, sugar and salt, stirring constantly just until dissolved. Remove from the heat. In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, scallions and serranos.
- On a plate, arrange the ginger, garlic, mustard seeds, cumin, peppercorns, crushed red pepper and turmeric. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil until almost smoking. Add the garlic, ginger and spices all at once and stir over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the vinegar mixture. Add the dressing to the tomatoes and scallions and let cool. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 4 days.