- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 pound boneless pork shoulder, sliced 1/4 inch thick across the grain
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons Korean sweet-spicy red chili paste (kochujang)
- 4 cups beef stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced crosswise 1/3 inch thick
- 15 ounces soft tofu, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 long red or green fresh hot chile (preferably Korean), thinly sliced
- Steamed white rice, for serving
How to make this recipe
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the pork, garlic and onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the pork is no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add the chili paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
Add the zucchini to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat until almost tender, about 2 minutes. Add the tofu and simmer for 2 minutes longer. Add the scallions and fresh chile and simmer for 1 minute longer. Ladle into bowls and serve with steamed white rice on the side.