- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 8 peeled garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek or other Asian chile sauce
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 pounds skirt steaks cut into 5-inch lengths or flank steaks left whole
- In a mini food processor, combine the basil, cilantro, garlic, sambal oelek and fish sauce and pulse until finely chopped. Add the lemon and lime zests and oil and pulse until fairly smooth.
- Rub the marinade on the steaks and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Light a grill. Grill the steaks over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until medium-rare, about 6 minutes for skirt steak and 12 minutes for the flank. Let the steaks rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice across the grain and serve.
Make Ahead The marinade can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. The grilled steak can be refrigerated overnight. Thinly slice and serve cold. Notes Variation This marinade is great for shrimp and chicken. Serve With Grilled corn on the cob and lime wedges.
Vibrant, cherry-rich Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.