Spicy Thai Pomelo Salad with Smoked Salmon
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
This refreshing salad combines three nutrient-rich ingredients: sweet pomelos (for potassium and vitamin C), smoked salmon (a source of omega-3 fatty acids) and chiles (full of beta-carotene).
- Two 1 3/4-pound pomelos, peeled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced, separated into rings
- 3 Thai chiles, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup roasted and unsalted peanuts, chopped
- On a work surface, separate the pomelos into sections, then peel each one. Using a fork or knife, break up the sections into pearls and transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add the shallot rings and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer them to paper towels to drain.
- In a small bowl, stir the Thai chiles with the fish sauce and sugar. In a bowl, combine the pomelo pearls with the smoked salmon, basil, cilantro, peanuts, shallots and chile dressing and toss to coat. Mound the salad on plates and serve.
Make AheadThe fried shallots can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
NotesOne Serving 225 cal, 15 gm fat, 2.7 gm saturated fat, 15 gm carb, 2 gm fiber.