Spicy Thai Pomelo Salad with Smoked Salmon
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This refreshing salad combines three nutrient-rich ingredients: sweet pomelos (for potassium and vitamin C), smoked salmon (a source of omega-3 fatty acids) and chiles (full of beta-carotene).
- Two 1 3/4-pound pomelos, peeled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced, separated into rings
- 3 Thai chiles, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup roasted and unsalted peanuts, chopped
- On a work surface, separate the pomelos into sections, then peel each one. Using a fork or knife, break up the sections into pearls and transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add the shallot rings and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer them to paper towels to drain.
- In a small bowl, stir the Thai chiles with the fish sauce and sugar. In a bowl, combine the pomelo pearls with the smoked salmon, basil, cilantro, peanuts, shallots and chile dressing and toss to coat. Mound the salad on plates and serve.