Spicy Spring-Lamb Crépinettes
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 10 Crépinettes
Rain Shadow Meats' Russell Flint seasons these spicy lamb crépinettes (meat patties wrapped in pork caul fat) with herbs that he gets from Marigold and Mint's Katherine Anderson. The caul fat wrapper makes them extra juicy, but they're delicious without the caul fat, too. Be sure to serve with some tangy plain yogurt on the side to temper the heat.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 sheet caul fat, soaked and rinsed (optional); see Note
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a small skillet, toast the fennel seeds and black peppercorns over moderately high heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes; transfer the toasted spices to a grinder and let cool completely. Finely grind the spices and transfer them to a large bowl. Add the lamb, red wine, garlic, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, salt and crushed red pepper and knead until thoroughly blended. Form the meat into ten 3-inch patties, about 1 inch thick.
- Spread the sheet of caul fat on a work surface and cut into ten 8-inch squares. Form the crépinettes by wrapping each lamb patty in a square of caul fat, pressing to create a smooth package.
- Heat the canola oil in a very large ovenproof skillet until shimmering. Add the lamb crépinettesand cook them over moderately high heat until golden on the bottom, 3 minutes. Flip the lamb crépinettes and cook for 2 minutes longer. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast the lamb crépinettes until cooked through, 6 minutes longer. Let rest for 3 minutes. Transfer the lamb crépinettes to a platter and serve.
Smooth, spicy Syrah.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.