Spicy Snapper and Shrimp Stew
- SERVINGS: 4
Everything in this seafood stew cooks together in one pan, making the cleanup as easy as the cooking.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- One 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1 pound snapper, cod or halibut fillet, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Steamed rice, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic, bell pepper and onion, cover and cook over moderately low heat until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes, crushed red pepper, thyme and saffron, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the snapper and shrimp, cover and simmer until the seafood is just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls at once with the rice.