Spicy Slow-Cooked Green Beans
- SERVINGS: 6
This is a delicious simplification of Ftima Mahjoub's stew of fresh favas and artichokes. Slow cooking the parsley, spinach and green beans creates a meltingly tender texture.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Tabil
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika
- 2 cups packed chopped flat-leaf parsley (1/2 pound)
- 2 cups packed thinly sliced spinach leaves (4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans
- 2 cups water
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, tabil and paprika and cook over low heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add the parsley, spinach, green beans and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring once or twice, until the green beans start to soften, about 15 minutes. Add 1 cup of water, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Add the remaining 1 cup of water, cover and simmer until the beans are very tender, about 20 minutes longer. Season with salt and serve
Make AheadThe beans can be refrigerated overnight.