- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 or 2 fresh Thai or serrano chiles, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound medium or large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup holy basil leaves, or 1/2 cup torn Italian basil leaves plus 1/2 cup torn mint leaves
How to make this recipe
In a small dry skillet, toast the peppercorns over moderate heat just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a mortar and coarsely crush. Add the garlic, cilantro, ginger, chiles, lime zest and salt and pound to a coarse paste.
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the paste and stir-fry over high heat for 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and stir-fry until opaque throughout, about 2 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce. Transfer to a bowl, add the basil and serve.
Steamed jasmine rice.