- 2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup Portuguese white wine, such as Vinho Verde
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
How to make this recipe
Season the shrimp with salt and black pepper. In a very large skillet, heat the olive oil with the bay leaves over moderately high heat until shimmering. Add the shrimp and cook, turning once, until just pink, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, tossing, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Carefully add the wine and simmer until the shrimp are white throughout, about 2 minutes longer. Discard the bay leaves. Stir in the 1/2 cup of cilantro and season with salt and black pepper. Transfer the shrimp and their sauce to a large, deep platter, garnish with cilantro and serve.
Portuguese whites made from the Loureiro grape have a fruity quality that's great with garlic flavors.