Spicy Roast Beef with White and Black Bean Ragout
- SERVINGS: 4
A beef eye-of-round for four people cooks in about 45 minutes, so it's a good cut to keep in mind for weekday dinners. For flavor, Steven Chiappetti rubs the roast with spices, then covers it with bacon so the meat doesn't dry out.
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds beef eye-of-round
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small jalapeño, minced
- 1 cup cooked white beans, rinsed if canned
- 1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed if canned
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- Two 9-inch corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips and fried (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, coriander and mustard. Stir in the oil. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Coat the meat with the spice mixture, cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Set the meat on a rack in a roasting pan and lay the bacon slices on top. Roast for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375° and roast for 25 to 30 minutes longer, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickets part of the meat registers 135° for medium rare. Discard the bacon, transfer the meat to a carving board and cover loosely with foil.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring often, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the white and black beans and the cilantro and cook until the beans are hot. Spoon onto plates.
- Carve the meat into thin slices and arrange on top of the beans. Garnish with the tortilla chips and serve.
The spiciness and high-alcohol level of a Châteauneuf-du-Pape make it a good match for the fiery and earthy flavors of the beef and beans.