© Fredrika Stjärne
Spicy Raw Beet Slaw with Citrus, Scallions and Arugula
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10 to 12
There’s so much richness on the Thanksgiving table that a few tart and spicy things are necessary for balance, like this raw beet slaw.
Slideshow: Great Slaw Recipes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 pounds medium beets, peeled and cut into fine julienne (see Note)
- 12 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- In a bowl, combine the garlic, lemon and lime juices, orange and lemon zests and cayenne pepper and let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in the olive oil and season with salt.
- In a skillet, toast the cumin and caraway seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Let cool completely, then grind coarsely in a spice mill or mortar.
- In a bowl, toss the ground spices with the beets, scallions and jalapeño. Add the dressing and toss again to coat. Season with salt. Spread the arugula on a platter. Mound the beet slaw on top and serve.
NotesTo julienne beets, use a mandoline or the shredding disk of a food processor.