Spicy Pickled Nopales
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 10 MIN plus 2 days marinating
- SERVINGS: Makes 2 cups
- 1 pound nopales (fresh cactus paddles)—thorns removed, paddles peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick (see Note)
- 2 jalapeños, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon sweet pimentón de la Vera (smoked Spanish paprika)
- In a large bowl, toss the cactus paddles and jalapeños with the salt and let stand for 45 minutes. Drain well. Transfer the cactus and jalapeños to a heatproof bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water with the vinegar, sugar and paprika and bring to a boil. Pour the brine over the cactus and jalapeños and stir well. Let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate for 2 days before serving.
Make Ahead The pickled cactus and jalapeños can be refrigerated for up to 1 week. Notes Most nopales are sold with the spikes removed; any stray spikes can be removed with a sharp paring knife. Serve With Refried Beans with Spicy Pickled Nopales.