- 4 cups water
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 10 thyme sprigs
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pound large carrots, sliced diagonally 1/3 inch thick
- 2 pounds medium asparagus, trimmed
In a large saucepan, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, thyme sprigs, garlic, peppercorns, crushed red pepper, mustard seeds and salt and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes. In a wide heatproof bowl, cover the carrot slices with the pickling mixture. Let cool to room temperature.
In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the asparagus until bright green, about 1 minute. Drain and refresh under cold water. Add the asparagus to the pickling mixture and refrigerate for 24 hours. Drain the pickles, transfer to a platter and serve.