- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 6 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 4 ounces sourdough bread, crusts removed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (2 cups)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add two-thirds of the minced garlic and cook over high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 1 minute. Add the onion and paprika and cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer the soup until reduced to 2 1/2 cups, about 30 minutes. Add the cayenne pepper and season with salt.
Meanwhile, spread the bread cubes on a large rimmed baking sheet and toss with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and minced garlic. Season the cubes with salt and bake for about 12 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
Crack the eggs into 4 small bowls. Bring the soup to a simmer over moderately low heat. Slide the eggs into the soup and simmer until the whites are firm and the yolks are runny, about 4 minutes.
Ladle a poached egg and some soup into soup bowls and sprinkle with the chopped parsley. Serve the soup immediately, passing the croutons on the side.
The soup can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated overnight.