Spicy Linguine with Halibut and Tomato
- SERVINGS: 4 Servings
Plus: Pasta Recipes and Tips
- 1 pound white fish fillets, such as halibut or cod, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped basil
- 4 garlic cloves, 1 crushed and 3 minced
- 2 small dried red chiles
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound plum tomatoespeeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound linguine
- Toss the fish with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the basil. In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the crushed garlic and dried chiles. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until the garlic turns golden brown. Discard the garlic and chiles.
- Add the onion and minced garlic to the casserole and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and wine, reduce the heat to moderate and simmer for 15 minutes. Raise the heat to moderately high, add the fish, and cook, stirring, until the fish is opaque, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente; drain. Add the pasta to the fish sauce, toss well and serve.