- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, fat trimmed, meat cut into
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 plump stalks of lemongrass, tender white inner bulb only, minced
- 1 medium red onion, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine, sake or water
- 1/2 cup Vietnamese Stir-fry Sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili paste
- 4 large scallions, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 5 small dried red chiles
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
How to make this recipe
In a medium bowl, toss the chicken pieces with 2 tablespoons of the canola oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt and 3/4 teaspoon of pepper.
In a large skillet or a wok, heat 2 tablespoons of the canola oil until small puffs of smoke begin to appear. Add half of the chicken and stir-fry over high heat until browned in spots, about 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet. Add the lemongrass, onion and garlic and cook over high heat, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook until slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Add the Vietnamese Stir-fry Sauce, oyster sauce, chili paste, scallions, dried chiles and jalapeño; bring to a boil. Add the chicken to the sauce and simmer until heated through, then serve.