Spicy Lemon Chicken Stir-Fry with Cashews
- SERVINGS: 4
This dish is a study in contrasts: the tangy, sweet and spicy sauce is a lovely counterpoint to the mild, tender chicken.
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry Vermouth or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Scant 1/2 cup unsalted dry-roasted cashews (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian chili oil
- 2 medium bell peppers, preferably 1 red and 1 yellow, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 7 ounces snow peas or sugar snap peas, halved diagonally
- 2 cups finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients except the dissolved cornstarch in a small bowl; then stir in the dissolved cornstarch.
- Slice the chicken across the grain into 1/4 -inch strips. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the cornstarch.
- Heat a large wok. Add the cashews and toss over high heat until they begin to brown, about 15 seconds; transfer the nuts to a medium bowl.
- Heat the peanut oil and 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil in the wok. Add the chicken, spreading the strips in a single layer, and stir-fry over high heat until golden and just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken to the cashews in the bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of sesame oil and the chili oil in the wok. Add the bell peppers and stir-fry over high heat for 30 seconds. Add the snow peas and stir-fry until all the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Return the chicken and nuts to the wok. Stir the sauce, then add it to the wok and stir-fry until the sauce is clear, about 2 minutes. Spread the lettuce on a platter, spoon the stir-fry on top and serve at once.
NotesOne Serving Calories 364 kcal, Total Fat 15 gm, Saturated Fat 2.8 gm
Serve WithSteamed white rice.
A crisp, herby California Sauvignon Blanc.