- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 pound andouille sausages, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- One 28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
- 3 quarts Rich Turkey Stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 pound kale, large stems and ribs discarded, leaves coarsely chopped (8 cups)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the garlic and onions and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 12 minutes. Add the ginger and andouille and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes and their juices; bring to a boil. Add the stock and kale; return to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer the soup until the kale is tender, about 10 minutes. Season the soup with salt and pepper and serve, or let cool and freeze.
Andouille is a spicy smoked pork sausage that is traditionally added to Louisiana specialties like gumbo and jambalaya. Aidells' Cajun Style Andouille sausage is a great choice and is available in many supermarkets.Serve With Crispy Cornmeal-Gruyère Muffins
A lively Pinot Grigio from Napa Valley has enough acidity to tame the spice in this soup.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.