- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or ground dried habanero
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 3/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large portobello mushrooms— gills scraped out with a spoon, mushrooms thickly sliced
- 1 pound oyster mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced 1/4 inch thick through the core
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered
- 1 1/2 pounds thin eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 pound medium asparagus
- 8 whole scallions, plus 1/2 cup minced scallions
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 cups plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Grilled bread, for serving
How to make this recipe
Mix the spices, herbs and 1 tablespoon each of salt and pepper with 1 1/2 cups of the oil. In a very large bowl, combine the mushrooms, fennel, red peppers, eggplant, asparagus and whole scallions and gently toss with most of the seasoned oil. Brush the onion slabs with the remaining seasoned oil.
Light a grill and oil the grate. Working in batches, grill the vegetables over moderately high heat, turning, until tender and charred, 10 minutes per batch. Arrange the vegetables on a platter and keep warm.
In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt with the minced scallions, lime juice and remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Serve the vegetables with the yogurt sauce and grilled bread.
Robustly fruity rosé, like a Malbec-based one made from Argentina.