Spicy Grilled Onion Relish
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 2 1/2 CUPS
This piquant condiment is best made with large yellow or Spanish onions; the big thick slices are easier to handle than ones from medium-size onions.
- 2 pounds Spanish onions, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Light a grill. Brush the onion slices on both sides with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Grill over low heat for about 20 minutes, turning only once or twice to keep the slices intact, until charred and tender. Brush the onion slices with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil during grilling. Let cool slightly. Cut the onions into 1/2 -inch dice and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small nonreactive saucepan, simmer the vinegar and brown sugar over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes. Pour the mixture over the onions and stir in the cayenne. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve the onion relish warm or at room temperature.
Make AheadThe relish can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Serve WithAny kind of beefsteak, pork, Italian sausages, chicken.