- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) root, plus 1/4 cup leaves (See Note)
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickled garlic, plus 1 tablespoon garlic brine (See Note)
- 8 garlic cloves6 coarsely chopped, 2 minced
- Kosher salt
- 1 medium semi-hot fresh green chile, such as poblano, seeded and chopped
- 4 fresh red Thai chiles, seeded and chopped (See Note)
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (See Note)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (See Note)
- 3 pounds eggplant, sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, quartered
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimp
- In a mortar, crush the corriander root, pickled garlic and brine and chopped garlic to a paste. Work in 1/2 teaspoon salt and the chiles. Stir in the palm sugar, then add the lime juice and fish sauce.
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Brush the eggplant on both sides with the vegetable oil and season with salt. Grill the eggplant over low heat, turning once, for about 3 minutes per side, or until tender and browned. Alternatively, broil the eggplant on two large baking sheets for about 3 minutes per side. Arrange the slices on a platter and top with the eggs. Drizzle the sauce over and sprinkle with the minced garlic, shallots, dried shrimp and coriander leaves.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.