- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 cups brine-cured green olives (1 pound)
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 6 very small red or green chiles
- 4 bay leaves
- About 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
How to make this recipe
In a mortar, coarsely crush the peppercorns with the coriander and fennel seeds. Stir in the oregano.
Spoon half of the olives into a 1 1/2- or 2-pint mason jar. Top with half of the crushed seasonings and the garlic, chiles and bay leaves. Add the remaining olives and seasonings and pour in enough olive oil to cover. Let stand for 2 hours, then add more olive oil if needed to keep the olives covered.
Close the jar and let the olives marinate at room temperature for 5 days to allow the flavor to develop.
The spicy marinated olives can be refrigerated in the jar for as long as 2 months. Let return to room temperature before serving.