Spicy Green Bean and Tofu Stir-Fry with Ground Bison
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/2 pound ground bison
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound green beans
- One 12-ounce block silken firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup low-sodium beef or chicken broth, preferably organic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese chile-garlic sauce
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl, mix the ground bison with the garlic, ginger, 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, 2 teaspoons of the cornstarch and the sugar. Season the meat lightly with salt and black pepper and let stand for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet or well-seasoned wok, heat 1 teaspoon of the canola oil until shimmering. Add the seasoned meat, breaking it up into small bits with a spoon, and stir-fry over high heat until browned. Transfer the meat to a bowl. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons of oil to the skillet, and when it is very hot, add the green beans and stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the tofu cubes and stir-fry until the tofu is lightly browned in spots and the beans begin to blister, about 3 minutes longer. Return the meat to the skillet and stir gently to slightly break up the tofu.
- In a small bowl, whisk the broth with the Chinese chile-garlic sauce and the remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch. Add the sauce to the skillet and bring to a boil. Simmer until the beans are tender and the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sliced scallions. Transfer the stir-fry to bowls and serve immediately.
One Serving 254 cal, 13 gm fat, 2.5 gm sat fat, 15 gm carb, 5 gm fiber, 20 gm protein.Serve With
Juicy, fruit-forward Garnacha from Spain.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.