- 1/2 pound rice vermicelli
- 1 1/2 cups coconut water
- 1/2 cup Asian fish sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 Thai chiles, thinly sliced
- 1 lemongrass stalk, tender inner white bulb only, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 3 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, crushed
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 4 shiso leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
- Canola oil, for greasing
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- Kosher salt
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- In a pot of boiling water, cook the vermicelli until al dente, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain, transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool and drain well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the coconut water with the fish sauce, lime juice, chiles, lemongrass, garlic and sugar. Refrigerate the fish sauce vinaigrette until chilled.
- In a bowl, toss the shredded red cabbage and iceberg lettuce with the peanuts, mint, basil, cilantro, chives and shiso (if using).
- Light a grill and lightly brush the grate with canola oil. Season the chicken wings with salt. Grill over moderate heat, turning once, until the wings are crisp and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer the grilled wings to a large bowl and toss with 1/2 cup of the fish sauce vinaigrette until thoroughly coated.
- Pile the cabbage-and-herb salad on a serving platter. Toss the vermicelli with some of the fish sauce vinaigrette and arrange on top of the salad. Top with the grilled chicken wings and drizzle with some of the fish sauce vinaigrette. Garnish the salad with sliced scallions and serve the wings warm, with the remaining fish sauce vinaigrette on the side.
Crisp, cooling pilsners are great with spicy dishes like these Thai chile-flecked wings.