Spicy Endive Salsa
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 2 large Belgian endives (1 pound), cored and halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon red miso paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium shallots, minced
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 plum tomato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket, bring 1/2 inch of water to a boil. Set the endive halves in the basket and steam for about 10 minutes, until just tender when pierced. Chop the endives into 1/4-inch dice. Transfer the endives to a strainer and squeeze out any excess moisture.
- In a small bowl, whisk the fish sauce with the agave syrup and miso. In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the garlic, shallots, jalapeño and ginger and cook over moderately high heat until the shallots are golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in the endives and cook until hot, about 1 minute. Add the miso mixture and the tomato and remove the skillet from the heat. Add the lime juice and season with salt. Stir in the cilantro and transfer to a bowl. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.