Spicy Crab Bisque
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
Tanya Holland's decadent crab bisque is studded with plenty of lump crabmeat. Thanks to a hit of cayenne and Tabasco, the soup has a sneaky heat.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 6 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Mashed Roasted Garlic
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of ground mace
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon Tabasco
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds jumbo lump crab or Dungeness crabmeat
- Oyster crackers, for serving
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter. Add the onion, celery, scallions and bay leaves and cook over moderate heat until softened, 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the broth is thickened and the vegetables are very tender, 15 minutes.
- Add the roasted garlic and milk; bring to a simmer. Stir in the sherry, ketchup, tomato paste, paprika, cayenne, cloves, mace, nutmeg, cream and Tabasco and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper, then add the crab; simmer until hot. Discard the bay leaves. Serve the bisque with oyster crackers.
Ripe, fruit-forward California Chardonnay.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.