- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 small shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 to 2 jalapeños, finely chopped with their seeds
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped canned green chiles
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely shredded
- In a small dry skillet, toast the cumin and coriander seeds over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Let cool, then grind to a powder in a mortar or spice grinder.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the mayonnaise, shallots, jalapeños, canned chiles, garlic, cilantro, maple syrup, Worcestershire, mustard, vinegar, and ground spices; process until smooth. Season with salt and the lime juice.
- In a large bowl, mix the green and red cabbage with the bell peppers and carrots. Add the dressing and toss well to coat. Refrigerate until slightly chilled or for up to 3 hours. Season with salt before serving.
The dressing can be refrigerated for up to 1 day.