- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Canola oil, for frying
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a shallow dish, whisk the flour with the cayenne and the 1/2 teaspoon of salt. In a second shallow dish, mix the panko with the shredded coconut. Add the coconut milk to a small bowl.
- Season the shrimp with salt. Working with 1 shrimp at a time, dredge it in the flour mixture, then dip it in the coconut milk, letting the excess drip off. Coat the shrimp in the panko mixture. Transfer to a plate. Repeat to coat the remaining shrimp.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil until shimmering. In 2 batches, fry the shrimp over moderate heat, turning, until golden and crisp and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Drain briefly on paper towels and serve hot with lemon wedges.
Pair this shrimp dish with a zippy, lightly sparkling Vinho Verde.