- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, sliced
- 2 small garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha or chili paste
- Juice and grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large bunch Tuscan kale, rinsed, ribs and stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves coarsely chopped
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepot over high heat, combine the coconut milk, vegetable stock, fish sauce, sugar, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, sliced shallot, Sriracha, lime zest and salt. Bring mixture up to a boil, then reduce to a low heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Transfer soup into a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 30 minutes. Strain soup through a fine mesh sieve into the saucepot and place over high heat.
To serve, add the chopped kale in handfuls, letting the leaves wilt into the soup, about 4 minutes. Squeeze in the lime juice, adjust seasoning with salt and additional chili sauce, and garnish with chopped cilantro.