- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 medium plum tomatoes?peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 pounds cockles, rinsed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
How to make this recipe
Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and cook over moderately high heat until they begin to break down, about 2 minutes. Add the wine, bring to a boil and let reduce by half. Add the cockles and cook over high heat, stirring, until they open, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the parsley over the cockles and serve immediately.
Toasted peasant bread rubbed with garlic.
A light, crisp, aromatic white, such as a blend of Catarratto and Trebbiano, will tame the kick of the crushed red pepper.