© Zubin Schroff
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Maya Kaimal's father created this amazingly simple yet delicious side dish specifically for canned chickpeas.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- One 15 1/2-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the coriander, cumin, cayenne and turmeric and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add the chickpeas, peppercorns and salt and cook over moderate heat until warmed through. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and cilantro. Transfer to a bowl and serve warm or at room temperature.